Friday 12 August 2016

12th August: Mount Vodno:


The big cross on the summit of Mount Vodno has already had a pull on me on my last two Skopje visits. Usually there isn’t a mountain, that I can resist, so I was very much looking forward to get my picture taken next to the Millennium cross. We had perfect weather. The sky was clouded all the way up, providing us with comfi temperatures. 


On ‘Sredno Vodno’, the point up to which the road and the buses go, one has the option of taking the cable car all the way up. However, as a Bavarian, this would be an insult to the mountain – one has to suffer a bit to earn the privilege to enjoy the summit.


On top we ate the sandwiches which Miki had created, after going 3 times at 7am in the morning to the shops to gather the ingredients. They did taste masterful though.


I could not stop myself following my urge to collect the stones which call out to me. On my previous Skopje visit I had brought back a 1 ½ kilo stone from the castle… This time I satisfied myself with a few shiny silver stones with weird wave patterns, and a white one with red spots, which looks like it’s bleeding…


Lying in the sun on top is great, and it took us a long time to tear ourselves away from the huge cozy rocks which seemed to glue us on. The only disturbance was a huge building site of some construction work, which unfortunately made all the ugly relevant noises …



On the way down, well, one needs to take silly and ‘artistic’ pictures in such an inspiring atmosphere…


Tomorrow I shall start to my first definite Romany music venture for this time - a visit to Kočani, the home of the famous Kočani Orchestar. I'm visiting a local musician to learn some of his tunes...


No comments:

Post a Comment